IS THE USA SO SPECIAL THAT WE CAN AFFORD TO IGNORE THE OPINIONS OF ALL OTHER NATIONS? WHAT IS THIS NATIONAL HUBRIS ABOUT?
A nation that is great does not need to boast about it! It will be known without promotion. Other nations don’t appreciate hearing, by implication that their country offers much less than the U.S. does. The citizens of many countries actually prefer their own country’s ways and culture to the U.S. culture. Many Europeans, especially the French, think that their life is more satisfying. They only work 35 hours a week, have six weeks of vacation, eat better food at a slower pace, and enjoy more cultural diversity by being European citizens.
- What is American exceptionalism? [Ian Tyrrell]
- American Exceptionalism. A Double Edged Sword [The Washington Post]
- The Myth of American Exceptionalism [FP Foreignpolicy.com]
- Obama and ‘American Exceptionalism’ [FactCheck.org]
- How Joseph Stalin Invented ‘American Exceptionalism’ [The Atlantic]
- American exceptionalism in a time of American malaise [BBC News]
- American exceptionalism, explained [The Washington Post]
- ‘American Exceptionalism’: A Short History [FP Foreignpolicy.com]
- Revised AP U.S. history standards will emphasize American Exceptionalism [Newsweek]
- Does American exceptionalism make us dumb? [CNN]
- We’re getting American exceptionalism wrong – and it matters [MSNBC]